Apparently Mother Nature doesn’t read the weather forecasts! She unexpectedly came down hard on us this weekend, but despite the excessive moisture and resulting rivers of mud the Monster Energy Motocross Nationals weekend events went great. Saturday’s Nationals Amateur Day and Island Series Round 6 was well attended and provided some exciting racing by local Island and Mainland riders. As for the Sunday Pro National event, muddy is an understatement – it was an all-out mud bog! Congratulations to local Island riders Ryan Lalonde, Connor Barnes and Corey Cardinal for qualifying in Pro National MX2 class at 24th, 27th and 38th respectively. And even more props to Ryan and Connor for literally fighting through the muck and finishing both races at 24th and 31st overall respectively. Unfortunately Corey got taken out in his first race and wasn’t able to finish or ride the 2nd race. It wasn’t your usual MX event, but it was pretty spectacular watching the Pro and Amateur MX warriors fighting each other and the track conditions. See the CMRC website Pro MX Nationals News page for more of the action details and Jim Muir’s upcoming Seehorse Creative Media Race Reports for local perspective.
Thanks goes out to the many organizations and people it takes to put on a National event like this…
- Stallybrass Promotions Inc. (SPI) and CMRC for promoting and sanctioning the Canadian Nationals and working with VIMX and the Island clubs to bring it back to the Island.
- The Canadian National Series sponsors for supporting amateur and professional motocross in Canada.
- VIMX and local club sponsors for supporting motocross on the Island.
- The VIMX Board, member clubs and the Nationals Working Group volunteers for planning, organizing and working with SPI to host and help run the event.
- All the event staff and volunteers that helped out before, during and after the event.
- All the race fans and spectators that came out on Saturday and Sunday to support local amateur and National Pro motocross.
- Most importantly the riders and their teams and families for racing hard and putting on such a great show.
We look forward to having you all back again next year. On to Kamloops for Round 2 this Saturday. Best of luck to the organizers, crew and racers up there. Hopefully Mother Nature treats them better us!
On behalf of our member clubs Nanaimo MX, Alberni MX and Campbell River MX